CAC’s job shadow program affords its students an opportunity to see first-hand how the organization runs and the tasks that are completed in a typical workday.
Students have an opportunity to learn the expectations companies have of their employees and the organization’s culture, as well as obtain information regarding the education and skills needed for the position.
Additionally, the time spent with the students can be gratifying for the sponsoring organization.
The amount of time a student shadows a sponsor can range from two to eight hours. Some activities in which a student may engage while shadowing include:
- A tour of the company/organization
- Shadow the sponsor and other colleagues throughout the day
- Observe general office tasks, staff meetings, and interactions of one or more departments
- Demonstration of industry-specific software or tools used for your profession
- Review the organization’s website, mission, marketing materials and organizational charts
- Conduct informational interviews to understand the future trends and career paths within the company
- Meet with human resources staff to understand what the employer looks for when hiring employees
- Share information about journals and professional activities related to your field
- Talk about a current project where the student can provide a new perspective
- Show-and-tell regarding projects on which you are currently working
The CAC shadow program will take place Oct. 17-31. Organizations interested in becoming a sponsor should check their calendars and sign up for this knowledge-sharing opportunity.
Becoming a sponsor and making a difference in the career path of a college student takes two simple steps:
- Register as an employer on Central Jobs at https://centralaz-csm.symplicity.com/
- Once approved, you can post any available job shadow opportunities
Additionally, companies may have multiple sponsors and job shadow opportunities for several departments or divisions within the company or organization. The last day to post a job shadow opportunity is Oct. 3.