- District enrollment is 4,454 students which includes Community Pre-K through Grade 12.
- The District is excited about the new signage on the south west corner of Germann Rd. and Ironwood Rd. identifying the location of Combs High School. It measures 12 feet high and 16 feet wide and is very visible to drivers travelling north or south on Ironwood. Take notice the next time you drive by.
- During the week of April 16th, families and community members may receive a phone call from a marketing company contracted by the Combs District. This company is conducting an independent survey about the school district, programs and community support. Your assistance and participation is encouraged. Please participate if you are called, your input is valued.
- The Combs District has been selected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide free meals to children this summer. All children 18 years and younger can receive free breakfast and lunch at Harmon Elementary from June 4th – August 3rd with the exception of July 2nd – 6th due to the July 4th Holiday. There are no qualifications required and no need to sign up. This program is open to all and 100% funded by the United States Department of Agriculture.
- The Combs High School Symphonic Band and the Wind Ensemble will be performing at the State Concert Festival on May 3rd. The Symphonic Band will perform at 11:30 a.m. and the Wind Ensemble will perform at 2:00 p.m. The performances will take place at the Chandler Performing Arts Center. In addition, the Combs High School Jazz Band will perform at the State Jazz Festival on May 4th at 2:00 p.m. at South Mountain High School in Phoenix.
- Combs Traditional Academy’s winning Battle of the Books team of Gordon Kok, Ross Fischer-Mooney and Landon Weidner will represent Combs Traditional Academy, and Ranch Elementary’s winning team of Eryn Jagelski, Cody Riggs and Jacob Satterlee will represent Ranch Elementary at the District Battle on April 30th at the Queen Creek Performing Arts Center.
- Staff at Ellsworth Elementary made “Good Luck” AIMS posters and hung them throughout the school. The theme is: “Look What’s Poppin for AIMS at Ellsworth!” On Friday the 13th, there will be an all school AIMS assembly and then a pop corn party to celebrate students’ readiness to go from “Good to Great” on the AIMS Test. Bright and early Monday morning Ellsworth staff will be outside before students arrive with sidewalk chalk in hand writing messages to all students to do their BEST on the TEST!
- Combs High School Fine Arts is in full swing this weekend. There will be a Combs High School Dance Concert performance on Friday, April 13th and Saturday, April 14th at the Queen Creek Performing Arts Center 7:00 p.m. In addition, the Combs High School Drama students will feature a performance, “Relationship Status: A Rendezvous Revue” at the Higley Center for the Performing Arts also on Friday, April 13th and Saturday, April 14th at 7:00 p.m.
- During “I Love to Read” week Ranch Elementary students participated in a Read-a-Thon. They collected sponsors and charted the number of minutes read. They raised over $500.00. The funds collected will contribute to the design and building of an outdoor eating facility.
- The third quarter culminating activity for Simonton orchestra students consisted of an orchestra solo & ensemble recital where the students performed individually as well as in small groups in front of a select audience of their own choosing. Parents, teachers, students, family and friends enjoyed the musical efforts of the orchestra students in a more intimate, informal setting. Students introduced themselves, their musical selections, accompanist, and their Orchestra Teacher Mrs. MarJan Moulding. It was a great opportunity for both audience and student performers to practice correct recital etiquette (Concert Manners).
- Harmon Elementary orchestra students were showcased in a solo and ensemble concert on March 30th.
- Ranch Elementary Third Quarter Awards Assembly was held on March 23rd. Congratulations to the 71 who met their Accelerated Reading Comprehension Goal.
- Third grade students at Simonton had a great time on their field trip to the Sea Life Aquarium in the Arizona Mills Mall. SEA LIFE Arizona transports visitors into the amazing ocean world, providing close encounters with a vast array of creatures including seahorses, sharks, rays, tropical fish and many more.
- Harmon Elementary had their annual PTSO Talent Show on March 2nd with over 50 acts ranging from youngest to oldest and included a staff act as well.
- Words are in blossom this spring at Combs High School! Combs High School is hosting a Poetry Night Celebration on Tuesday, April 24th from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Talented English students, creative writers and musicians will share their work while Arizona authors will present guest poetry readings. The audience will have an opportunity to participate in a mini-workshop or a great word game! Admission is FREE, and refreshments will be available.
- Harmon Elementary participated in the Relay for Life Penny War the week on March 5th. The students raised over $643.00 for Cancer Research.
- Combs Traditional Academy’s 3rd-5th grade students participated in a presentation and set individual goals for their performance on AIMS. Students identified strategies that they will use to help them achieve their goals.
- Calling all golfers, the Combs Middle School PTO Golf Tournament Committee is planning a tournament for the middle school for the 2012-2013 school year. Volunteers are needed for the planning of this special event for the school and community. If interested, the next PTO meeting will take place at 6:00 pm in the Combs Middle school cafeteria on Tuesday, April 24th. Please plan to attend.
- Try-outs for the fourth quarter middle school sports programs of boys’ basketball and girls’ soccer have taken place and season play for these teams as well as cheerleading began on March 27th and will run through May 15th. All games start at 4:15 pm.
- Congratulations to the Combs High School Track and Field team for recently competing at the 72nd Annual Chandler Rotary. There were over 3000 student-athletes from across the country competing at this meet. Medal winners included Katie Rohrer, Austin Judkins, Josh Downs, Jon Espinoza, Aaron Sage, Elijah Throckmorton and Tyler Fairbanks who received a first place win in the 400 meter race.
Each School has numerous activities. Please check their website or contact the school office for details.
April 9th – 13th Ranch Elementary Relay for Life Events
Fri., April 13th Combs Traditional Academy PTO Spring Sock Hop
Sat., April 14th Carnival at Ellsworth – 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
April 16th – 20th Grades 2-8 AIMS and Stanford 10 Testing
Wed., April 18th Ranch Elementary Little Caesars Spirit Day
Fri., April 20th Ranch Elementary Kg-1 Egg Drop and Bunny Brunch
Tues., April 24th Combs High School Poetry Night
Wed., April 25th Combs Traditional Field Day
Thurs., April 26th Ellsworth Elementary 2nd Gr. Performance of “Frog and the Toad” – 6 p.m.
Thurs. April 26th San Tan Regional Chamber Scholastic Achievement Awards – San Tan Foothills High School at 6:00 p.m.
Fri., April 27th Ranch Elementary Kindergarten Round-Up
Fri., April 27th Combs High School Prom @ Encanterra
Mon. April 30th District Battle of the Book, Queen Creek Performing Arts Center – 7 p.m.
Wed., May 2nd Combs Traditional Academy PTO Muffins with Mom
Wed., May 2nd Community Budget Advisory Committee Meeting at Combs High School - Library – 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Thurs., May 3rd Combs Traditional Academy Volunteer Tea
Mon., May 7th Combs Traditional Academy Choir Concert
Tues., May 8th Combs Traditional Academy Band & Orchestra Concert at Simonton Elementary