After-school program will run (times approximate) 2:30 – 4:30, Mondays through Thursdays, with additional hours one evening per week (4:30 – 7:30PM) and Saturdays (3 hours, time TBA).
There will be late busses available for transportation home!!!
What types of activities?
- Tutoring in all academic areas
- Specific AIMS (and eventually SAT/ACT) test prep
- Additional credit recovery classes/time
Enrichment: (These will be targeted specifically to student interests and needs – the list below is simply a starting point of ideas.)
- Academic – AP tutoring/review, hands-on activities and applications, real-life applications, activities that don’t fit into the regular school day schedule/classroom.
- Youth development – positive decision making, mentoring, study skills, discussion groups
- Computer classes – using Excel, typing, internet research
- College searches/preparation
- Creative writing
- Book discussions
- Fitness – specific sports/activities, general fitness, healthy eating/habits, stress relief/management
- Money management, college savings
- Specific parent classes (again, a starting point, not an all encompassing list)
- Money management
- Planning for college (or retirement for the parents!)
- Helping high schoolers with homework
- Talking with teens
- What is ‘normal’ teen development
- Current events/issues with teens
- (All the sticky situations that many parents try to avoid or don’t know how to deal with)
- Helping facilitate communication between parents and teachers
- Working with parents to address student issues/difficulties and helping to find a solution.
- Reaching out to the parents that are often missing from the home-school conversation – the parents of our at-risk students.