Take Pride in Arizona and join Tonto National Forest and Salt River Tubing as they encourage tubers to be responsible public lands stewards and help keep the Salt River clean and beautiful during the 17th Annual “Salt River Heroes = Litter Zero” event, May 26–May 28, from 8 a.m.- 6:30 p.m.
Salt River Tubing is located in northeast Mesa, just seven minutes from the AZ-202 loop on north Power Rd. The holiday weekend “Take Pride in America” event has been phenomenally successful as tubers have bagged over six hundred seven tons (607 ons) of picnic litter during the past sixteen years and reduced the amount of trash on the river by ninety percent!
The Memorial Day weekend is consistently a sold-out event each day. Henri Breault, President/C.E.O. of Salt River Tubing, said, “Floaters should arrive early in the morning to ensure parking and tube rental availability. Tube rental doors will open at 8 a.m. for early-bird floaters. Don’t be late and miss the opportunity of a fabulous floating picnic!
Be a responsible public lands steward and “stash and bag” your picnic litter. If everyone does their part, Salt River will be clean and beautiful for everyone to enjoy!”
“Take Pride in America” is a national partnership that aims to inspire a new generation of volunteers to put their love of country to work to improve our national parks, wildlife refuges, public lands, cultural and historic sites, playgrounds and other recreation areas.
Salt River Tubing has rec e ived a r e cord four “National Take Pride in America” awards for the company’s conservation efforts in Tonto National Forest (1991, 2003, 2006 and 2010). Shooting the Salt River rapids is great fun and company officials recommend the following helpful tubing tips to assist tubers in planning their floating picnics for the holiday weekend:
- Valid driver’s license is required for a tube rental deposit per 5 tubes rented.
- Children must be eight (8) years or older AND at least four feet tall for tubing and shuttle bus service.
- Life vests are strongly recommended for children, nonswimmers and inexperienced swimmers.
- Glass containers by law are not allowed at the Salt River and will be confiscated. Ice chests will be inspected for glass containers before boarding shuttle buses. Please use plastic bottles or aluminum cans.
- Alcohol, drugs and the Salt River do not mix! Have a great time and responsibly appoint a designated driver before your tubing adventure.
- Floating picnic ideas: fresh fruit, burritos, fried chicken sandwiches. Pack in Ziplocs to keep dry. Stash and bag all picnic supplies in litter bags while floating.
- Ice chest/coolers: Fill with ice, sport drinks, fruit juice and water. One to two bottles of water per hour while floating is recommended to help prevent dehydration.
- Sun block, tennis shoes, cap or visor should be worn. A minimum 30 SPF is recommended.
For more information about Salt River Tubing & Recreation, please visit the website at www.saltrivertubing.com or call (480) 984-3305 at Salt River Tubing headquarters.
The Memorial Day Weekend Holiday operating hours are 8 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. and the latest tube rental is 3:30 p.m. (weather and water flow permitting).
Tube rental is $15 per person/tube and includes shuttle bus service. Salt River Tubing does not accept checks, debit or credit cards. Cash only.