San Tan Mountain Regional Park also has a Visitor’s Center with educational tidbits and souvenir items to purchase. Visit with park staff and see the wildlife exhibits or tortoise habitat. Restroom facilities are available and additional amenities are slated for future development. Go to http://maricopa.gov/parks/ santan or call 480-655-5554 ext.201.
Upcoming events include:
- Full Moon Hike, 7:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 2. Discover the beauty of the Sonoran Desert at night, as participants hike under the light from the full moon. Join for a pristine 1.3-mile stroll along the Goldmine and Littleleaf Trails. Listen for the sounds of wildlife and explore the night-life atmosphere. The pace of the hike will be relatively mild or slow to help enjoy the surroundings. Flashlights are welcomed. Cost is $6 vehicle park entry fee. This program is part of the “County Parks are getting Wet ‘n’ Wild this summer” series and officials will be raffling off a familyfour pack at the end of the program.
- “Monsoon Mayhem” Family Fun Water Day, 10-11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 4. Looking for a cool way to cool off? Enjoy a refreshing assortment of water activities at the park, while learning about some of the special animals of the desert. Don’t forget to bring a towel and water shoes, because participants will get soaked. Sunscreen and appropriate sun attire is encouraged. Fun for the entire family. Cost is $6 vehicle park entry fee. This program is part of the “County Parks are getting Wet ‘n’ Wild this summer” series and officials will be raffling off a family-four pack at the end of the program.
- Perseids Meteor Shower Viewing, 8-10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 11. For thousands of years the night sky has been more than just a break from the day. The stars can be a sight of great beauty, a puzzling mystery and a familiar beacon guiding you home. They can be seen from all over our planet and have been the inspiration for many of the stories we have come to enjoy today. Join for an unforgettable night hike (roughly 1.3 miles) and uncover the stories and myths from past cultures as we explore the constellations, planets and stars of the night sky. Bring a flashlight, water and proper hiking attire. Cost is $6 vehicle park entry fee.
- Scorpion Scavenger Hunt, 8-9 p.m. Saturday Aug. 18. What has eight legs, two pincers, and glows under a black light? Scorpions. Set out on a desert exploration at night as we search for these fascinating creatures and find out just how cool these amazing arachnids really are. Participants will be hiking one mile, round trip, on the Goldmine Trail; bring plenty of water, proper hiking attire, and a flashlight (black lights also encouraged, but are optional). Black lights will be available to rent for $3 at the visitor center through the Friends of San Tan. Cost is $6 vehicle park entry fee.
- Blue Moon Hike, 7-8:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 31. It only happens once in a blue moon; and for us, it’s happening this August at San Tan. Enjoy a marvelous evening under the light of the blue moon as we peacefully make our way along the Stargazer Trail (2.2 miles) Take pleasure knowing the hot sun is gone for the day as our ranger guides you through the desert on a truly special hike. Cost is $6 vehicle park entry fee.